Tuesday, February 14, 2006



A History of Valentine's Days

I'm too tired to think of anything witty so I'm resorting to the Boy Meets World flashback episode style blog. Here are my last couple V-Days and the reckoning that took place on each day of prescribed love:

V-DAY '01

I started writing in my second journal ever. I had my first girlfriend so I made this a celebration like none other.

Every class she went to had either a red rose and a handwritten note/poem or a mini box of chocolate and a handwritten note/poem waiting for her. A huge bouquet of flowers was waiting for her at her house when she got home.

Then she somehow misconstrued my attempt at romanticism and we broke up for the first of many many times.


V-DAY '02

I wore all black and cut a red heart out of cardboard and pinned it upside down to my shirt. I walked around campus and went to all my classes like this.

"...if the card companies tell you love is buying something from Hallmark with a pre-written poem...then that must be love. And if the candy companies tell you that buying expensive boxes of chocolates is love...then that must be love. And if the flower companies tell you that flower arrangements that cost nearly a hundred dollars which will last a week at most are love...then that must be love. But I look around at this grotesque display of corporate control and I shake my head. That's not love. Love is a handwritten poem straight from the heart. Love is sharing fast food at midnight in a park. Love is that laughter that nobody else can bring out in you. Love is not being able to sleep because you don't want to look away from their face. Love is knowing...not thinking...knowing that somebody is right for you."


V-DAY '03

I bought my second girlfriend ever a dress from Betsy Johnson and surprised her with dinner reservations at Orange Hill. We ate dinner while watching the sun set from the top of a hill with a beautiful view.


V-DAY '04

A post from my blog that day. Oddly enough, somehow some of the exclamation points turned into question marks. I didn't write that to begin with. My website was trying to tell me something:

"By the way...I changed Valentine's Day to Love Day? because I still wanted to do stuff but not because Hallmark tells me to. So I made a new holiday. You guys can still celebrate the bloody past and dreary present of Valentine's Day while I celebrate a day that has allot more meaning to me. And I don't even have to buy a Happy Love Day? card! Or chocolate! I'm tellin' you guys...make the switch. Boycott Valentine's Day and make your own cards and never even SAY Valentine's Day. Just a "Happy Love Day?" will do just fine.

HAPPY LOVE DAY?!"



V-DAY '05

There is no written record of what I did for this day of Valentines. It shall remain shrouded in mystery forever.


V-DAY '06

The details thereof remain to be seen, but so far it's looking like class, more class, maybe working out, and then possibly getting ice cream with a friend. Woo!


No comments:

generated by sloganizer.net