Friday, April 28, 2006




Falling Without a 'Chute

The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side.
--Hunter S. Thompson

Mind if I ramble?

Of course not, otherwise you wouldn't ever visit this site.

You might remember when I said something like this (though this is abridged):


It amazes me how many bands show up night after night at little coffee shops, clubs, bars, backyards, school events, and anywhere there is a power outlet and pour their hearts into their music and into letting others hear what they love to do despite the fact that nobody shows up.

Everyone I talk to in an unknown band has this same problem: just getting people to hear your music.

If it's so hard, then why do they/we keep doing it?

For the love of doing it.

What's odd, though, is that even with being upset that so few people got to see [any of the bands I have been part of] I would do it all again even if I knew even less people would get to see. It's just worth it.

So I'll keep playing music nobody hears and I'll keep making movies nobody sees and I'll keep writing posts that nobody reads and I'll love every second of it because it's not about recognition or compliments or acceptance or anything other than pure love for doing it.


Well I have been kicked out of the Parachutes. No, I'm not going to go off about the myriad of complaints I have, I'm not going to badmouth anyone in the band, and I'm not going to argue about the correctness of their decision.

Let's just say it's not the happiest of subjects and rather than explain it to each and every one of my friends, I'll allude to the countless angles one could take as to why these events have taken place.

I take certain things very seriously, and being in the band was one of those things. Whether it was telling everyone I could about the band and trying to coerce everyone I knew to come to the shows with promises of hugs and dollar bills, putting countless hours into making posters and doing photo editing, listening and re-listening to songs in order to come up with better bass-lines, skipping work or school or valuable study time in order to give the few fans we had the most memorable show possible, or dreaming of the amazing future the band possibly had, I put my heart and my soul into making music with the Parachutes.

The only thing I can really compare it to is being dumped by a significant other.

I won't go into details...you want those, ask me personally.

It would be safe to say I'm a little lost in all of this.

::
::

In other news, I got some pictures back from the photo shoots with my friend Christina. Here are some of them for your viewing pleasure.









Oh yeah, I almost forgot, anyone want some Parachute paraphernalia? I have a sweaty home-made t-shirt (I couldn't wash it or the spray-paint would come off), a whole bunch of wrist-bands, stickers, posters, and hundreds of pictures and flyers. I guess I won't be needing them anymore.


No comments:

generated by sloganizer.net