Saturday, November 22, 2003

My Doppelganger and Me

Today Naomi and I went to a place called Bagel Me, which sounds somewhat like a lewd comment a passerby in just a trench coat would make. Despite the name, it is just a bagel place. We ordered and stood around in the crowd, my attention going from person to person...coming up with stories for each of them...wondering where they had come from and where they were going. One guy caught my attention in particular...probably because he was really small, but perfectly in proportion. I gave up my story making and waited for my cheese bagel with cream cheese. The lady walks up to the counter with a bag in her hand and yells "GRANT!" I start to walk forward as the little guy walks up and grabs my bag. He heads for the door and I thought that maybe she had already called his and mine was still at the counter. I walked up and said, "I'm Grant." She asked me if I had ordered the cheese bagel with cream cheese, I nodded yes, and she looked very confused. "GRANT! GRANT! THAT'S NOT YOUR FOOD...IT'S HIS!" she yelled out, pointing at me. He stopped at hearing the name Grant, and came back looking confused. It seems that two Grants came into Bagel Me at the same time, both ordered and gave their name for recognition, and both assumed that the same food was their own. As he handed me the bag we looked at each other somewhat confused and somewhat amused. You have to understand...we Grants don't usually bump into each other. I have met 2 Grants in my entire life. Now 3. I had the strange urge to sit down and find out who he is, find out his story, just because we share a name. But alas...my bagel was getting cold and that would be a little creepy. So I left.

No comments:

generated by sloganizer.net