Friday, March 18, 2005



Sing Along Everyone!

It amazes me how many bands show up night after night at little coffee shops, clubs, bars, backyards, school events, and anywhere there is a power outlet and pour their hearts into their music and into letting others hear what they love to do despite the fact that nobody shows up.

Ok, not nobody...but nearly nobody.

When I was part of Breakfast Epiphanies we played many many shows to not many many people. We would pay our own money just to play at a club and then have 10 people watching if we were lucky. We would call all our friends and tell everyone we knew, but to no avail.

And this isn't just with our band. Everyone I talk to in an unknown band has this same problem: just getting people to hear your music.

If it's so hard, then why do they/we keep doing it?

For the love of doing it.

Last night "Kindred Fall" (and I only put it in quotations because only 1/3 of the band was REALLY Kindred Fall) played at the Ugly Mug. It was extraordinarily fun...despite the fact that only about 12 people were there. It's tough because you just know that there are other people out there who would enjoy the music at least a little bit, but getting them to hear the music is so hard.

What's odd, though, is that even with being upset that so few people got to see BE and are getting to see KF...I would do it all again even if I knew even less people would get to see. It's just worth it.

So I'll keep playing music nobody hears and I'll keep making movies nobody sees and I'll keep writing posts that nobody reads and I'll love every second of it because it's not about recognition or compliments or acceptance or anything other than pure love for doing it.



Rock on.

No comments:

generated by sloganizer.net