Saturday, June 22, 2002

My sister kicks butt when it comes to dancing. I just came from one of her dance shows, and every time I see her dance I am blown away. I have no doubt that she could make it into Juilliard someday. Sorry, I just felt like bragging about her a little bit.

This dance show had a silent auction which, if you did not know, is where you walk around little tables where fruit baskets, candy filled baskets, vacation getaways, and other various things can be 'bought' for much lower than the price...usually. You write your name on a piece of paper and how much you are willing to pay for whatever the item may be. Then others have a chance to write their name down and outbid you. This sounds harmless, but let me tell you...it gets violent. Poaching is common, and often produces extreme paranoia. You just HAVE to have that basket of something useless that you could buy at the store but would rather receive like a prize, and that little old blue-haired lady keeps outbidding you just as you write your name down for the third, fourth, fifth time. People stand by the table, acting like they are sipping on a drink, and give the evil-eye to anyone who even approaches the table. Well I have been to my fair share of these auctions, although I might never go to one again. At the last one, my dad found a basket, or a trip, or an animal or something that he just couldn't live without. This auction was part of a VIP RSVP dinner where the main entertainment was that lady who did the voice of The Little Mermaid was going to sing. So right before this musical interlude to the evening, she eyed the same basket, or trip, or loaf of zucchini bread or whatever it was and decided she wanted it as her own. My dad said 'nuh uh girlfriend' as he ruthlessly outbid her every time. I think that everyone else was getting uncomfortable, loosening their ties, and staring into their drinks like they didn't know what was happening. "Maybe that guy doesn’t know who she is," one would say to the other. "Maybe he's trying to make a statement against Disney," another would mumble. It was just common knowledge that you let The Little Mermaid have whatever she wanted...since we all remember her fateful words, "I've got gadgets and gizmos aplenty/ I've got whozits and whatzits galore/ (You want thingamabobs? I got twenty)/ But who cares?/ No big deal/ I want more." She's greedy, obviously, and would not be satisfied unless her collection included this basket, or trip, or Swedish back massage or whatever it was. This brutal battle ended with my dad getting the basket, or trip, or signed picture of the president or whatever it was...and it's not MY fault if she wavered a little in her song that night.

No comments:

generated by sloganizer.net