Friday, July 19, 2002

I was younger. Obviously young enough to not realize the possible danger of sitting on a slick tube and speeding down a hill of ice for fun. Plus I wanted to be manly, like the twenty or so older men from the group we had gathered on top of this hill. Someone came up with the great idea of linking together all the intertubes to make a "train." Within minutes this train, which was more of a giant ameba, was all set to go. Everyone else was large enough to fit snugly in the tube. I however was small enough that my butt would be dragging on the snow if I sat normally. So instead I was sprawled out across this thing like it was a lounge chair. Right in the front. One guy hooked his leg through my tube to anchor me to the rest, and we shoved off. I was majorly disappointed at the measly speed we were moving at. But in no time we were gaining more speed than anyone else on the hill, like a semi-truck going down hill. One guy at the back of the train accidentally let go, and I remember that we were moving so fast it looked like he was going uphill compared to our speed. Cold air whipped in my face, snow blinded me, ears completely numb, and I was having the time of my life. Then things went terribly wrong. We hit a large mogul. The problem was that when my tube went back down, I did not. Kind of like when an airplane drops from turbulence and you stay up in the air. Plus I was moving forward. So there I was, looking down at nineteen tubes as I did my best superman impression and landed in front of the ameba. Then it hit me. All I remember is complete chaos and lots of pressure. Then I was rolling down the hill at an incredible speed. All I could see was sky, ground, sky, ground, sky, ground, sky...you get the idea. I finally stopped and tried to sit up, feeling more dizzy and nauseous than ever before. Tears streaming down my face. Then I hear fffsssssssssss behind me, so I look back. That one guy who let go earlier...he was on a collision course with my small and fragile body. Soon I was rolling again and all I could see was sky, ground, sky, ground, sky, ground, black...........and I was being carried to a little house with a red cross on it, only I didn't remember being picked up, and black.............and some guy I've never seen before had a hand in front of my face. "How many fingers do you see? What's your name? Where do you live? What's your phone number?" All I was thinking was "shut up...my head hurts and your talking is making it hurt more." The next thing I remember is drinking hot chocolate in the ski lounge. And my dad gave me some quarters to play video games. I loved video games, and I probably wouldn't have gotten to play them if my dad wasn't having to try and make me feel better after I revived from my concussion.

No comments:

generated by sloganizer.net