Friday, March 14, 2003

I'm in this class called 'logic.' Sounds...er...interesting? I thought so. But that's just because I love it when people throw stupid trivia questions at me like, "if you see two people, and one of them always tells the truth and one of them always lies, what one question can you ask to find out which is which?" That strikes me as kinda fun, but also kinda frightening that I find it amusing when most people would respond with, "who cares?" Now logic is important...or at least I assume it is. But we have now entered the realm of deductive logic, and things have taken a turn for the worse. Beside the fact that my teacher recently told our class, "I hear that heroin isn't that addictive," we are also doing syllogisms and propositional/categorical errors. Imagine this being a questions (since it is one):

-all sailors are pirates

from the previous statement, assumed to be true, what truth or falsity can be deducted about the following statements?

-all nonsailors are not pirates
-all pirates are not nonsailors
-some sailors are nonpirates
-no nonpirates are not nonsailors

There should be a puzzled look on your face for one of two reasons. Either 1) that made no sense at all or 2) what application could that POSSIBLY have in the real world?

But somehow...somehow it gives me insane pleasure when I can figure out the deductive truth of pirates.

No comments:

generated by sloganizer.net