Tuesday, April 16, 2002

Getting up in the morning is bad enough when you are still tired...but it's so much worse when you are also sore. After nearly two hours of Aikido last night, including some mad crazy two-one-one freestyle action, I was dead tired...to say the least. Needless to say, I was sore when I woke up. And sleep has not been that nice to me lately, therefore I was also tired. So not only did I not want to get up because I was tired...but I felt I couldn't get up because I was sore. Luckily, Ed and Aaron were jelous of my sleeping in and decided that if I didn't get up they would pull me out of bed. That is until I threatened to stab them with darts.

I am no longer a film festival virgin. I went to the Long Beach Film Festival with Aaron the other day to see O Invisor, and Rodents (though that is not the Spanish name...I forgot the Spanish name). After the films ended I thought that I didn't like them. But I examined my reasons for not liking them, and realized that it was merely because the films ended, and not all the complications had been cleared up. But is this a reason to dislike a movie? Of course not. We are so engrained with the sitcom mentality where any problem, even your spouse getting a sex change and running away with the pool cleaner, can be solved in 30 minutes flat. And that's including commercial time. We have the media telling us that there are people who live perfect lives. We have the television telling us that an unsolved problem is unhealthy. But these foreign films were not made in a society with the same preconceived notions...therefore the movie ends like life. There are still questions. There is still confusion. Some people are worse off then before. And it could go anywhere from there. And this applies to every area of everyday life. Even relationships. So sit back, listen, and call me...Dr. Love. Well, no...nevermind. If I was Dr. Love, you would all be in trouble. But anyway. I was thinking about Sarah and I, and I realized that often times I have the mentality that there shouldn't be the smallest problem present...or things aren't working. I often have the mentality that I must be doing something wrong because everything is not of fairy-tale status. And we look to advertising, movies, books, the media...and all we see are picture perfect romances. Our model is of impossible height to reach. So we look at others around us and see that their relationships are no better than our own...therefore they must not have it all together either. But if you stop and think for a second or two...you will realize that not many people do have a spouse get a sex change and then find them shacking up with a pool maintenance person. Most people have much simpler problems. But would anyone really watch a sitcom where a married couple was having communication issues? If there's no nudity, death, or drugs...then no. Maybe if the guy was from the future and came to the past to make a fortune selling drugs that have yet to be invented, and the girl is a recently recovered druggie who has decided to spend her extra energy selling her body on the streets, and they are mad at eachother because they never talk anymore. Yeah...that's it. But until that is my situation...Sarah and I will deal with long distance, all the while learning more about love as we go...just not from the media.

Ok, that was kind of heavy...now for something completely different:
_______________________________________________________
RANDOM STUPH:
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
***My comments are back offline. Netcomments is moving domains and going through a big transitions phase, so you'll have to wait till Saturday (I think) to get all those wonderful thoughts down on my site.

***Ed took a picture of my corkboard...so I made it into a little section over there on the left. Go...it's fun...really.

***My hand just started bleeding...be right back...need a band-aid.
~~~~2 MINUTES LATER
***My hand is no longer bleeding.

***Our elevator said, "Maximum Capacity...." Someone scrathed it up, so now it just says, "..p..ity"
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
END RANDOM STUPH:
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

--A conversation from the other night (abridged):

me: "Clothes should be edible."
Faye: "There are edible underware."
me: "No, ALL clothes should be edible. That way you could wear them and then eat them...it would be so much more economical."
Faye: "I wouldn't want to eat my clothes."
Me: "Why not?!?"
Faye: "Well, I wouldn't eat my socks."
Ed: "Yeah, I guess you're right."
Faye: "I mean, what about sweat?"
Aaron: "Then you should sweat different flavors to add to the clothes."
Me: "Yeah, sweat could be like seasonings."
Aaron: "You could sweat salad dressing to have with your shirt, and salt to go with your socks."
Ed: "But then you would be naked when you were done eating."
Aaron: "You would get your next set of clothes from the restaurant."
Me: "You would go in and eat your clothes for lunch, then order more for dinner...and wear them until dinner time."
Aaron: "But what about eating in public places?"
Me: "Hmm...I hadn't thought about that."

No comments:

generated by sloganizer.net